The Legislation, Public Policy, Resolutions Committee is tasked with studying pending legislation and keeping members informed on matters of public policy. The committee also reviews and considers new resolutions along with previously adopted resolutions for consideration and/or updates at the annual convention. On this page you can find information related to both legislation and public policy issues as well as resolutions.
GFWC Legislation- 3 Brand Initiatives
GFWC has added 3 Brand Initiatives that involve Legislation/Public Policy.
- Make 1000 calls or emails on September 23, 2019, to United StatesSenators and Representatives urging passage of H.R. 2793 and S1787: Miranda Vargas School Bus Driver Red Flag Act. The Miranda Act provides for mandatory reporting to employers of the change in status of a bus driver when they have a conviction for moving violations, an accident, or any other action taken against the driving privilege.
- Make 1000 calls or emails on October 23, 2019, to United States Senators and Representatives urging passage of the S1831 and H.R. 3265: 3D Printed Gun Safety Act of 2019. This Act would prohibit and make unlawful the publication of 3D printer plans for the printing of firearms over the Internet, or other means of communication.
- That 1000 club or state projects will be conducted to celebrate the 100thAnniversary of Women winning the right to vote on August 26, 2020. Support of the Centennial Quarter Coin Program Act would fall under this initiative. H.R. 1923 and S.2427 would create a new series of commemorative circulating coins, which highlight women suffragists on the reverse side of the U.S. quarter.
For all written communications, please adhere to the following:
- State that you are a member of the General Federation of Women’s Club, numbering 80,000 members nationwide.
- Give your name, club, and GFWC state affiliation (all in red).
- Sign your name in RED.
- Sample Emails to Legislators on Brand Bills are available for your use.
- Locate your US Representative here
- US Senators for Florida are Rick Scott and Marco Rubio Click their names to access their websites for phone and email.
To access the full text of the bills use the links below:
Miranda Vargas School Bus Driver Red Flag Act
3D Printed Gun Safety Act
Centennial Quarter Coin Program Act http://cqrcengage.com/gfwc/app/write-a-letter?3&engagementId=501834
Please report how many calls and emails were made by each club on the designated date for Brand Initiative 1 and 2 to your District Director or Junior District Director as soon as possible.
Legislative Action Center
One of GFWC’s 7 Grand Initiatives is for 1,000 members to join the Legislative Action Center. The Legislative Action Center is a powerful tool for GFWC’s public issues and advocacy efforts. Track bills, contact your local representative and take action on issues germane to GFWC Resolutions. Click here to visit the Legislative Action Center.
Legislation and Public Policy Resources
To submit a resolution to the committee, please consult the GFWC Florida Resolution Rules and Information link below. All resolutions must be submitted twelve weeks prior to the annual convention. The deadline is February 21, 2020. Also below are resources for completing a youth resolution project with Juniorettes or in your community.
Updated 2019 GFWC Resolutions pending
May Mann Jennings
We submitted our nomination to the Florida Commission on the Status of Women for the Florida Women’s Hall of Fame for 2019. We were thrilled to make the top ten! Member letters to commissioners made the difference. The top ten was submitted to the governor and we anxiously await his selection of the three 2019 inductees. Member letters, postcards and emails to the governor’s office surely had an impact and hopefully we will get some news soon.