GFWC Florida is ready to assist those devastated after the recent Hurricane Dorian.
Our members are always ready to step up and do “whatever” it takes to help and provide for those in need.
GFWC Grand Bahamas Woman’s Club is an International Woman’s Club that is part of our Federation.
At times like this, communication is very difficult – we have seen the pictures and news reports – homes have been destroyed, there is no power, supplies or transportation.
GFWC Florida has an Emergency Relief Fund and we are accepting financial donations to be distributed once we connect with GFWC and their efforts or directly with Grand Bahamas. Donations can be sent to GFWC Florida, 4444 Florida National Drive, Lakeland, FL 33813
Financial assistance is the most efficient form of aid as transporting of items to the islands is hazardous because of debris, lack of fuel and areas to dock or land.
Many organizations are providing immediate relief-
The Red Cross
1-800-435-7669Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity
Pan American Development Foundation
As soon as GFWC Florida receives any news, updates, donation needs, and information, we will provide that to all clubs.Thank you for continuing to help others – the needs of the Bahamian People will be a priority for several months as the damage is assessed and evaluated.
GFWC 7 Grand Initiatives
At the GFWC Convention in June, we learned about our progress from the 2018 reports.
- 1,000 projects completed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service – 789 projects.
- 1,000 projects for Women in the Military – 799 projects.
- 1,000 members to donate $1,000 to the GFWC Capital Campaign and become members of the Million Dollar Club – 120 have donated.
- 1,000 members will join the GFWC Legislative Action Center – 1,594 have joined, so we have a new goal: 2500 members by 2020.
- 1,000 trees planted on Federation Day or Arbor Day – 17,811 trees have been planted, and we have a new goal: 20,000 by 2020.
- 1,000 pairs of shoes will be donated to Soles4Souls and Nike Reuse-a-shoe program – 36,763 pairs of shoes donated, so we have a new goal: 40,000 by 2020.
- 1,000 Dr. Seuss books be donated with 500 going to local schools and daycare centers and 500 going to DC schools and daycare centers – 50,716 Dr. Seuss books donated, and we have a new goal: 55,000 by 2020.
3 NEW BRAND Initiatives
- 1,000 calls or emails to United States Representatives on September 23, 2019 urging passage of HR 2793 Miranda Vargas School Bus Driver Red Flag Act.
- 1,000 calls or emails to US Representatives and US Senators on October 23, 2019 urging passage of HR3265 and S1831 3D Printed Gun Safety Act.
- 1,000 club/state projects to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Women’s right to vote, August 26, 2020!
(Instagram Feed was not playing nice)